Thursday, August 22, 2013

I Arrive in Ghana

June 28th, 2013

I was not used to the 'mosquito net struggle' (this should be the next addition to the Azonto dance, by the way). Malaria is a large threat in Ghana so I felt the need to be as cautious as possible!



When I had finally managed to get over the frustration I experienced with my net, I realized that I was surrounded by music. It had to have been around 7 am? A large amount of people were drumming and singing from across the field, the hostel staff were sweeping the landings while humming to themselves and the students in the shower were singing loud and proud!! I should've been annoyed.. but I was more curious than anything. I walked out onto my balcony and discovered this:



Of course, I had to ask everyone what was going on! No one knew, though, or could explain it to me in English, anyway. So I walked across the field to see if I could find out for myself! .. nope. In fact, I was clearly the only non-member present. It was not a funeral but a celebration of some female group that looked to me, similar to girl guides?!

Ok so I don't have the full answer for this one but I did come to the conclusion that this type of musical demonstration must be common and is perfectly accepted, even supported, for not one person seem disturbed by this very loud event.

How would a person in Edmonton, Alberta respond if this woke them up at 7 am? hmm..... !

No comments:

Post a Comment